close
close

City of Mobile Officials Agree to Share Documents in Special Prosecutors Investigation; Prine says the process appears objective

The Mobile City Council on Tuesday introduced a resolution authorizing the subpoena of documents from city officials. The subpoenas are related to the special counsel’s investigation into claims made by former police chief Paul Prine.

Prine said he met with the special investigator last week. He thought the seven-hour interview was objective and was able to share a lot of information.

“It seemed serious, to the point and objective,” he said. ‘I gave him a lot of information. We’ll see how objective and impartial they will be.’

Chief Paul Prine Alabama News

Chief Paul Prine discusses allegations outside a Mobile City Council meeting on April 30, 2024. Photo: Erica Thomas.

Now investigators from the Birmingham-based law firm Bradley Arant Boult are asking Cummings for a long list of documents from various city officials, including documents related to an agreement between the City of Mobile and 321z Insights LLC, the Gulf Coast chain of command. Coast Technology Center, a final report on Operation Echo Stop, communications between Prine and the city government and any written complaints.

They also want documents from the administration regarding any communications regarding Prine’s actions as chief.

City Council Attorney Michael Linder said he spoke with the special counsel and the city attorney Monday evening and that the resolution was no longer necessary as the city is cooperating with investigators.

“It appears that the special counsel and the city have reached an agreement regarding the production of documents and witnesses,” Linder said during a workshop before the council. “So the special counsel is fine with not issuing subpoenas to the city or to city employees. That will all be done in consultation and I believe they have more or less reached an agreement on that.”

Linder said the special counsel still needs a resolution to grant subpoenas to the non-city entities, namely Prine and 321z Insights LLC. Any future resolutions required for subpoenas will be considered within two weeks.

Prine publicly stated that there may have been irregularities among city officials after he was placed on administrative leave earlier this year. He has detailed some of his allegations, and the special counsel’s investigation will focus on those. The council has approved spending a total of $200,000 on the 45-day investigation.

To contact the author of this story or to comment, email [email protected].

Do not miss it! Subscribe to our newsletter to get our top stories every weekday morning or become a member to access exclusive content and 1819 News merchandise.